October 12, 2011

So Sweet!


No, this isn't a post about mis nietos (my grandchildren). Well, not directly anyway. Ok, ok, kinda sorta. But it doesn't start that way!

Sweets- candies- one of the many goodies of the Gods. As I was wondering what music to play in today's post, I reached into my purse and pulled out a piece of dark chocolate. Oh yeah!

Instantly the day brightened , and as I was beaming with anticipation- inspiration!!

I remembered that same beam of joy radiating from La Princesa's face when I bribed her with a candy. A candy for a kiss. Whaaaaat? She doesn't know Babushka yet, so I tempted her with el caramelo; THAT she knows! Don't give me that tsk,tsk! and shake of the head as if I was the first to do that. How do you think those chocolates got the name of "kiss" ? Seriously! You think I'm the only long distance abuela? JU SO FONI !!!

Caramelos- sweets, staples of the Cuban Way, and like everything else, we like it rich and to extreme!!! This being a post and not a novel, I will name just two of the mucho, mucho, many sweets we love. Actually, I'm just going to mention drinks, because the cravings will start and I really don't think the bodequita is open.


Ambrosia #1 Guarapo.
The ever natural, original soda of our island. This is the juice taken from the sugarcanes; so special we even use special machinery to extract its' goodness. Fresh from the sugarcanes the flow of liquid sugar would entice us with it's coolness and jumpstart us with it's potency.





Ambrosia #2- Chocolate Caliente (Hot Chocolate-Cuban style)
On the rare nights it would go below 60 degrees in Miami, we'd trek to Moro Castle for their sickeningly sweet, super addictive hot chocolates. Yo se, I know, I promised only drinks, but Oh of course they had to be accompanied by churros, nice and fresh, looking like sticks of solid snowflakes from all the sugar glistening on them. Now, if you think ours is the regular hot chocolate that is mass produced, here I must say Sacrilegio!!! Cuban hot chocolate is made with the French (originally) Chocolate Menier, and that not being rich enough, evaporated and condensed milk is added. Again, oh yeah!








But sugar isn't just in our foods, it's in our souls and part of our history. And no one is more in our souls or part of our history than the late Queen of Salsa, Celia Cruz who's signature word was sugar- "Azucar" and it fitted her importance to us perfectly.



BB surrounded by Azucar








A post about Chocolate, Grandchildren, y Celia Cruz - SWEET!!








Babushka Besos a todos. Cuidensen.


Bohemian Babushka
Bohemian Babushka

Groovy Spanglish speaking Grandma of 6 who loves life and all its adventures. Motivational while still keeping it real, Babushka shows how all things looked at with gratitude are good, and how to say to la vida- JU SO FONII!!!

1 comment:

Always remember- If someone doesn't see YOUR brilliance, just look at them, smile, and say- JU SO FONI!!!